./lifeupdate

Monday, February 27, 2006

Training the RedHat way

I'm in Columbus this week, however I'm not in the office. Because of some contractual terms in the RedHat EL reseller agreement AI needs a RedHat Certified Engineer on site. I was chosen from a large pool of candidates ( actually I was the only person in the pool...) to go to training in preparation for the RHCE exam (coming this Friday).

There are five students including myself in this class, I'm the only developer, and I believe the only person that has never (a) used punch cards and (b) using Unix for 15+ years. Everyone else in the class was a SysAdmin. So when the teacher introduced this class he said:

We're going to move really fast in this course. You may have to study at home and cram for the exam. And unfortunately, Brett, you'll be a bit behind because you don't have the Unix experience everyone else has here.
I'll admit, he had me a bit worried at this point. Not having any idea what was coming, I decided I was really going to soak everything in for the next four days, and ensure that the exorbitant costs that AI was paying for this course wasn't going to waste. Then, he started lecturing.

The AM session was spent going through every single screen that the RedHat graphical installer presents to you. By lunch time we had a minimal system installed, and networking working. (DHCP, so we kinda cheated). Yes, you read that right, we spent the entire morning going through the graphical installer. Not kickstart, not even setting up some sort of interesting RPM repository. Nope. And this was fast paced. Did I still need to be worried?

The afternoon reinforced the trends the morning sessions showed. The instructor successfully restated the following man pages:
  • mount
  • mke2fs
  • e2label
  • inittab
  • fstab
While I learned some of the finer points of these commands, I certainly wouldn't say we were moving at breakneck speed. Sadly, the only new material I did learn (ACLs, file metadata, and SElinux extensions), aren't going to be on the test. *sigh*.

With 25% of the course finished (Friday is test day), I'm hoping the next 75% really challenge us, otherwise, it is going to be a loong week.

Today mount, tomorrow ifconfig, Wednesday the world?

2 Comments:

  • I was so looking forward to you blogging again! Your last blog, however, was less than scintillating. I understood maybe %50 of what you wrote, including words such as "the". Your fans are requesting more personal detail, such as how much OC you have been watching lately, how much your sister-in-law has been using your highly priced treadmill, or how you spiced your pork tenderloin for supper last night.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/28/2006 08:51:00 AM  

  • Seriously! How much do we really want to know about R-HEL? I mean, Marissa's sister is in the picture, Johnny is dead... and we're lost with w/o your direction!

    btw, did you know you can use this program called "grep" to search files? If you're willing to work a little harder, I'll teach you about it, but I'm warning you... since you're a developer, you are already behind!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/28/2006 12:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home