./lifeupdate

Friday, September 09, 2005

Evil Evil Walmart

In some circles it is somewhat hip to not like walmart. In fact I've never met someone who walked up to me and said "Man I'm thrilled to have a walmart down the street!". Not once. Nor do I know anyone who really looks forward to shopping there. There are just so many people.. I usually keep my mouth shut when it comes to Walmart discussions (hard to believe I know). I can see people's points. I'm not always of the same opinion, but I certainly can see their points.

It is easy to point out times when Walmart is being a bad big business, but in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, this is not one of those times. According to press releases Walmart has given $17,000,000 to various Katrina funds. The first million of those funds were committed on the 29th of August. Quick response.

However it doesn't stop there. Along with setting up mini-walmarts where people can get much needed supplies for free, they have also committed to giving jobs to displaced walmart employees at any walmart in the country. You simply walk in any walmart store and they will give you a job.

While I'm sure many people still look upon Walmart as being a bad thing for communities, jobs, clothing, food and money to the affected region a surely a good thing.

1 Comments:

  • Yes they are doing good deeds this week, especially when you consider that some of their stores were looted by the homeless (and police!) earlier in the week.

    Recently they have been looking for a way to improve their image. They are making videos of all the good they are doing this week for dissemination to the media.

    Good effort, not necessarily a humble one though.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/10/2005 09:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home